Friday, October 23, 2009

Healing from Surgery

Hey y'all, it's Heike, Shelby's foster mom.
Shelby is healing nicely from the surgery. She is no longer wearing any post-op socks, and is back to her usual level of energy, meaning she plays hard with Waylon, takes naps with him on the couch, and is a loving licking lap dog.
Here are the two happy siblings:I have read somewhere that pit bulls are very maternal and adopt all kinds of animals in lieu of their own offspring. Shelby definitely has a very caring side to herself. She constantly surrounds herself with stuffed animals: she has built a "nest" in the yard and carries all her toys (and Waylon's, too) outside, then puts them around her favorite sunny spot. It has been raining during the past few days, so she has a "nest" inside:
The red blanket was a gift to me. My former roommate Patrick gave it to me for Christmas one year. I wrote my dissertation wrapped in it, and have never shared it with any dog until Shelby came along. It's warm and fuzzy, and she loves it.
Whenever I pick up after her and put all her toys in a basket, she is right behind me and takes them out one by one, and puts them around her "nest". It's simply too adorable.
In this picture, you can see that her paws are healing very well. She looks a bit goofy, like a three-toed gargoyle. Shelby keeps the wounds clean and doesn't chew on the stitches at all. She will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment